A Short Note on Fungi
Short Note on Fungi
In rainy seasons we see tangled threads like structures with black dots of molds growing on oranges and bread. These mushrooms and molds are Fungi. Fungi are simple heterotrophic eukaryotes.
They cannot prepare their own food. On the basis of nutrition fungi has two types:
- i) Parasites: Some fungi are parasites. They obtain their food from other living organisms (hosts). Many of them cause disease in man, animals and in crops.
- ii) Saprotroghs: They get their food from dead organisms. Mushrooms and bread mold Rhizopus are saprophytic fungi.
- i) Its cell wall is made up of chitin which is a complex carbohydrate.
- ii) Body of fungus is composed of branched, tubular thread called hyphae.
iii) A group of hyphae is called mycelium.
- iv) Hyphae may be septate or non-septate. Septate hyphae have partitions called septa which divide the hyphae into cell like chambers. Each chamber contain one or more nucleus.
- v) Non Septate hyphae lack septa and contain many nucleuses in cytoplasm. They are also called coenocytic hyphae.
In the presence of suitable conditions, fungi spread rapidly by means of spores. Fungi directly reproduce sexually as well as asexually.
Classification of Fungi:
There are approximately one lakh known species of fungi. These are classified on the basis of structure of sporangium, methods of spore formation and characteristics of mycelium.
Groups of Fungi:
There are four large groups of fungi.
- i) Zygomycetes (For example Rhizopus)
- ii) Ascomycetes or sac fungi (For example Morels and Yeasts)
iii) Basidiomycetes (For example rust, mushrooms)
- iv) Imperfect fungi (For example Alternaria)
Note: You can cooperate with work and study. And, if you work on a specialty, then you begin to build a career from the first year of training; it is substantially, twice, cheaper than the day-time department; a student from the province will have to spend on a rented dwelling only during the surrender sessions. And the cost of a rented apartment, or at least a room, is comparable with the payment of the study itself; To enter the full-time department in some specialties is very difficult, and correspondence education is completely accessible; for young mothers there is virtually no candidacy for correspondence education. Instead of interrupting their studies and going on academic leave, they can take care of the child and continue their education; educational programs are designed taking into account the fact that part of their time extramural students give their work. In the end, they get knowledge in a more concentrated form, they have less to learn what later will not find implementation in practice; the correspondence student is quite free in choosing the time for studying, there is always the opportunity to strain and catch up.